Designing a product / product system involves an understanding of the primary needs that the product should meet. It is influenced by a comprehensive perspective of the socio-economic conditions within which it exists. There is a systematic work method to achieve these objectives.
In this project the method of enquiry involved: Field studies undertaken in different Schools and Primary Health Centers in specified locations to understand the different environments of use.
Field Survey: Rural Primary Schools
Field survey was undertaken in the rural settings in Assam to gather first hand impressions of the ground realities in the area s of study
The project team visited local primary schools in and around North Guwahati, Tezpur, Goalpara, Meghalaya and Mizoram on many occasions during the entire product development period.
Field Survey: Rural Hospitals & Dispensaries
Hospitals and Dispensaries in the rural areas are poorly equipped. Most of them do not have basic accommodation facilities for patients;
Eg., waiting rooms, hospital beds and stretchers.
Equipments wherever provided, are basic and lack even the simple comforts of a thin cushioning between the patient and the cold metal surface. There is lack of maintenance which is necessary especially for over used facilities.
The effect of metal corrosion and rusting is a safety concern in humid tropical regions like Assam.
Analysis and Design Needs:
1. Products required by Rural Primary Schools are:
• Table & Chairs
- For Teachers - A furniture system with storage facility,
- For Students - Single/ Double seater or more, with variations in height,
- Tables that can stack, easy to store, gives the possibilities of different configurations,
- Tables with storage facilities for bags, water bottles, etc.
- Single or double sided to be accommodated into different spaces,
- Permanent fixture or folding
• Storage Systems
- Storage for student’s bags, water bottles, exercise books, library books etc.
- Open/ Closed Storage, Partition Systems.
- Toileting and drinking water facilities, New & improved Teaching kits and manuals.
2. Products required by Rural Hospitals & Dispensaries are:
- Hospital Bed, Stretcher, Storage System, Partition Units, Saline Stand,
- Laboratory Table, Doctor’s Examination Table, Doctor’s Examination Stool,
- Oxygen Carrier, Medicine Trolley, Visitor’s waiting Bench.
- Waste Disposal Systems,
- Toileting and drinking water facilities,
- Laundry sterilization facilities.
Agoli Bah Downloads:
• Agoli Bah Case Study - pdf